I shared with you many healthy recipes for a 1st bday cake (no eggs, no milk, no sugar…) delicate and tasty at the same time. But what about the 2nd bday?? I rather prefer to stay on the healthy side with a beautiful decadent multi-layer cake.
The cake structure is made with fluffy homemade pancakes (dairy free thanks to coconut or almond milk!!). On top of the pancakes slices of seasonal super sweet strawberries (or any other seasonal fruit your little one likes) and to keep everything together a smooth and creamy chocolate frosting…without chocolate. Yes, it’s real!!! it tastes like chocolate but doesn’t have chocolate or dairy at all!! only dates, avocado and cocoa. Incredible 🙂
Here you are the ingredients for 3 mini cakes (6 layers of pancakes each):
And that’s how to proceed:
– The day before preparing the cake place the dates in a medium bowl with lukewarm water. Let them rest in the water for at least 8 hours. I usually do it in the evening so that the dates are ready for the next day 🙂
– Let’s prepare the dairy free pancakes. Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar to the milk, stir and set it apart. In 5 minutes the milk will get curdled. It’s an easy way to prepare homemade buttermilk 🙂
– In a medium bowl combine the other ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, egg, oil, sugar. Add the “buttermilk” and wish for few minutes in order to obtain a smooth cream.
– Place a small non stick frying pan on the stove at low heat. When the pan is warm add 1/2 ladle of pancake mix. Gently “shake” the pan for few seconds to give a nice regular round shape to the pancake.
– Let the pancake cook for 2/3 minutes. When small bubbles will start forming on the pancake, it will be time to flip it on the other side and let it cook for an additional minute.
– For this particular cake you want to make small pancakes, 4 inches diameter max. Keep cooking the pancakes and pile them up in a kind of tower. That will keep them warm and fluffy.
– Wash and cut the strawberries in thin slices
– Prepare the frosting. Remove the dates from the water. They should have doubled their size getting very very soft. Place the dates in a blender. Remember to remove the pit!! Add one ripe avocado. I really LOVE the “Hass” variety, so creamy and tasty!! If you are worried that the frosting will taste like avocado, do not worry: the dates and the cocoa will totally cover any other taste. Add the unsweetened cocoa powder and mix everything for few minutes in order to obtain a smooth thick cream.
– Place 7 pancakes on a flat surface. Spread one tablespoon of chocolate frosting on each pancake. Add a layer of fresh strawberries, except for one pancake that you will use as the final top one.
– Take the cake stand or serving dish that you are going to use. Place one pancake in the center and layer all the others on top, finishing with the one without strawberries.
– With a spatula or a cheese knife start spreading the chocolate frosting on the sides of the cake.
– the cake is almost done. Sprinkle some coconut flakes on top of the cake and on the sides to give some color
The cake can be prepared the day before the party and stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
Enjoy the party!!!