First Birthday Cakes are always something special, you want them to be:
- beautiful to impress your guests and family
- healthy so that your little one will be able to enjoy it too
- tasty to please the adults’ palate too
- easy to prepare
- without artificial colors or flavors
a lot to ask to a simple cake, you have to admit it 😉
Today I would like to share with you a new “1st Birthday Baby Cake” recipe that has been tested and approved by my family. It’s a multi layer chocolate cake, fluffy and moist, with a Japanese Sweet Potato frosting. The cake is egg free + dairy free + refined sugar free, basically it’s vegan. Quite impressive, I know.
The final color is incredibly beautiful: a delicate pale purple….perfect for a girl birthday!!!
The cake is very easy to make and you can prepare it the day before the party. Bake the cakes and, once cooled down completely, place them in an air tight container on the countertop. Prepare the frosting and store it in the refrigerator. The day of the party simply assemble the cake. It will take less than 20min to do it.
- 1 1/2 Cup flour 230gr.
- 1/2 Cup dry figs puree 150gr.
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder 40gr.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 Cup coconut yogurt 80gr.
- 2/3 Cup coconut milk 170ml.
- 1/3 Cup coconut oil 70gr.
- 15 dried figs
- 2 large purple sweet potatoes 500gr.
- 1/4 Cup coconut milk 60 ml.
- 4 Tbsp figs puree
- Preheat oven to 350
- prepare the figs puree soaking the dried figs in warm water for 30 min.
- remove them from the water and place them in a tall container.
- add 1/4 cup water left from the soaking phase
- puree everything with an immersion blender in order to create a smooth thick paste: our natural sweetener is ready.
- in a big bowl add all the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda. stir and set apart.
- in another bowl add the wet ingredients: vanilla, 1/2 cup of figs puree, coconut yogurt, coconut oil, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar. Mix
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix well
- As I wanted to create a multilayer cake, I divided the cake batter in three small square baking pans.
- Bake the cakes for 20 min. Remove from the oven and let them cool down.
- While the cakes are baking, let’s prepare the frosting. Peel the purple potatoes and chop them in small pieces.
- boil the potatoes up until they will be tender (15min)
- place them in a tall container
- add in coconut milk + 4 Tbsp figs puree
- create a smooth cream using an immersion blender
- place the frosting in the refrigerator for 20 min to cool down and thicken a bit
- remove the three square cakes from the pan.
- using a round plate cut them in circles
- place the first round cake on a cake stand
- remove the frosting from the refrigerator and spread a layer on top of the first cake
- place the second cake on top and another layer of frosting, finish with the last cake and start frosting the cake all over with the purple potato mix.
- decorate the cake with some unsweetened coconut flakes
- Happy Birthday!!