First birthday cakes are my favorites: I love finding a recipe that works both for the baby and for the rest of the family&friends.
As we are officially in spring, I think you will appreciate this lovely carrot & orange beet cake with cashews frosting. It’s super delicious! I would definitely suggest it for any birthday, at any age 😉
The cake is vegan, aka no dairy + no eggs. In addition to that is refined sugar free, I only used the natural sweetness of dried fruit and apple syrup (recently I’ve been using and loving the Dolcedi’ apple sweetener by Rigoni Di Asiago).
I recently fell in love with orange beets, I put them everywhere…and I added one to the cake mix too 🙂 I’m happy I did it because it very well balances the sweetness of the carrots.
The cake is super moist, you will be surprised. The reason behind are the almonds: they give moist and a lovely nutty touch.
The frosting itself should have a separate post 😉
I prepared a vegan cashews frosting. super simple and super creamy. it turned out so good that I spread the leftovers on some toast for breakfast, hi hi!
The overall combination (cake + frosting) is delicious.
As I was thinking about a 1st baby party, I simply prepared the cake in a rectangular shaped baking pan. I cut out a big square that I used to create a mini cake for the party boy/girl and I transformed the remaining cake in lovely cake bites for the guests 😉
Did I mention that the cake is super simple to prepare????
When you are organizing a 1st birthday (or any other birthday) party, the last thing you want to do is to spend one day preparing/decorating the cake 😉
Happy Birthday everyone!!!!
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 260gr.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup apple sweetener or maple syrup 170ml
- ½ cup homemade unsweetened applesauce 130gr
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup finely grated carrots 2 medium
- 1/2 cup yellow beet 1 small
- 1/2 cup almonds 90gr.
- 1/2 cup dried apricots 100gr.
- 1½ cups cashews 140gr.
- ⅓ cup coconut milk 50ml
- ¼ cup apple sweetener or maple syrup 70ml
- 4 tbsp coconut oil 40ml
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- one carrot
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C
- Grease a 9" x 12" cake pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Peel the beet and the carrots, grate finely and set aside.
- Soak the cashews in warm water overnight or (if you do not have time) boil some water and soak them in hot water for half an hour.
- Place the almonds in a food processor, blend for 1 minute. Add the dried apricots, blend for 1 minute. Set apart.
- Prepare the frosting: add all ingredients in a powerful blender and process 5 minutes, you will obtain a thick cream. Place in the refrigerator to thicken even more.
- Prepare the cake: in a large bowl add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and mix.
- Add the apple sweetener, the applesauce, and lemon juice, combine.
- Add in the grated beet and carrots, than the almond/apricot mix, combine well.
- Transfer the batter in the cake pan. Level the top using a spatula to even out the surface.
- Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes until the top becomes golden and a skewer inserted down the center comes out dry. Remove from oven and let it cool down completely.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, cut out a square, as big as you want your baby cake to be.
- With a knife cut out a round shape.
- Remove the frosting from the refrigerator, place the baby cake on the baby cake stand and start frosting the cake with the help of a knife.
- For the decoration: peel a carrot. Cut out a cylinder. Make a V cut. Cut out the sides of the heart. Cut out the sharp angles to give your heart a more soft shape. Slice as many hearts as you need.
- Decorate the baby cake and leave some hearts for the adult cake.
- Spread the remaining frosting on top of the adult cake
- Decorate with the carrot hearts and some grated carrots. Cut the cake in small bite portions. I like to serve the adult cake in the baking pan like in the picture 😉
- Enjoy and have fun at the party!!!