Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. I always say to the kids that breakfast gives you the energy to play, run and have fun for the rest of the day. Even when it’s school day we dedicate at least 15 relaxing minutes to our breakfast every morning, sitting together around the table and enjoying it. That’s why an homemade cake makes our breakfast even more special 🙂
As we are enjoying spring I wanted to prepare something fresh, light and fluffy. I really wanted to incorporate the Cara
Cara oranges incredibly sweet that I found at the farmers’ market all together with the purple carrots. I saw a carrot cake recipe I was intrigued by and, as always, I did my adding/removing/switching thing to the ingredients ending up with the following orange, carrot & almond cake. Not too sweet, dairy free and incredibly fluffy and delicate. Perfect for breakfast with a nice glass of milk!!
To be sincere the kids were a bit intimidated by the cake color at the beginning. The purple carrots turned into an “interesting” fluorescent violet color 🙂 As soon as they tasted the cake their opinion changed and the cake was gone in few days!!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 Cup powdered sugar 200gr.
- 7 Tbsp coconut oil 90ml
- juice of 1 medium orange 100ml
- 3/4 Cup almonds 120gr
- 10 oz. carrots 3 medium or 260gr
- 1 1/3 Cup flour 180gr
- zest 1 medium orange
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Grate the orange zest, set it apart.
- Peel and grate the carrots, set them apart
- Place the almonds in a blender/food processor and mix for 2 minutes in order to obtain a breadcrumbs consistency.
- In a food processor add the grated carrots, the orange juice and the coconut oil. Mix to obtain a creamy consistency.
- In a medium bowl add the eggs and the powdered sugar. Mix for 2 minutes using an electric whisk.
- Add the almonds, the orange zest and the carrot mix. Stir.
- In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Gently incorporate the dry mix to the batter.
- Fill a baking pan with the cake mix. I greased the pan with some Extra Virgin Oil of Olive.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400F/180C for 35 minutes.
- (Optional) Dust the cake with some powdered sugar