I’ve been testing and testing this recipe in order to find the “perfect” ingredients’ mix. I wanted a refined sugar free + dairy free banana bread to offer to my kids almost on a daily basis as they simply LOVE banana bread.
I used natural sweeteners like dates and vanilla and I substituted dairy ingredients with coconut ones.
I was super pleased with the result and I tested the banana bread with my kids (the super picky Luca!!!), my husband and my friends without telling them about my experiment. It has been a success….and that’ why I’m sharing it with you 😉
Considering the ingredients I would suggest this recipe for a baby starting from 6 months (of course without chocolate chips!!!). You can simply take a very tiny piece of cake and let your little one enjoy the naturally sweet treat 😉
The banana bread mix is also a lovely idea for a 1st birthday cake!!
The mix is very versatile and you can use any pan size/shape you like. I tried the traditional loaf pan and than I used some baby food silicone pots I had from Lili pops and also I used a Oogaa baby silicone plate 🙂
They all came out nicely, the only difference being the baking time (60 min for the loaf, 35 min for the muffin pots, 25 min for the Oogaa plate)
- 3 ripe medium bananas 1 cup mashed
- 1 stick vanilla
- 1/2 Cup coconut oil 120ml
- 10 dates
- 1/2 cup water 120ml
- 2 cup flour 500gr
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz. plain coconut yogurt no sugar (1 vase)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips optional (100gr)
- preheat the oven at 325F
- soak the dates in 1 cup hot water for 20min
- mash the bananas in one bowl
- in one bowl add the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder and salt. mix
- remove the skin and the pit from the dates.
- place them in a tall container. add 1/2 cup of the warm water.
- puree’ everything in order to create a sweet paste
- make a long incision in the vanilla stick and scrap out the seeds with a knife. add them to the dates puree.
- in a big bowl add the eggs and the vanilla/dates puree. whisk well.
- add the mashed bananas, the yogurt and the coconut oil. whisk well.
- slowly add the dry ingredients. whisk well.
- add the chocolate chips (optional). mix with a fork.
- fill with the batter some silicone baby food trays. fill only for 3/4.
- bake at 325F/160C for 35 minutes. use the toothpick rule to check if they are ready 🙂