When it comes to apple cakes my mind goes back to my childhood when my mom used to prepare an amazing apple cake: soft, high and beautifully golden. As I love to try new options and recipes, I decided that I wanted to have the same fluffy and soft cake that my mom prepared, but…gluten free. With few modifications here and there I’m happy to share with you my gluten free apple cake. The kids loved it and I really hope you are going to love it too!!
This is all you will need for a regular size (6/8 portions) cake:
Are you ready? Let’s start together:
– Take one apple (I chose Fuji ones) and peel it. Slice the apple in very thin slices.
– Place the apple slices in a bowl and squeeze the lemon juice on top. Toss with your hands the apple slices so that the lemon juice will cover evenly all the slices. Set it apart.
– In a kitchen mixer add the butter cut in small cubes (the butter should be soft, room temperature) and the sugar. Let the mixer work for 2 minutes at low speed in order to create a nice cream.
– While the mixer is working divide the egg yolks from the whites.
– Place the eggs white in a medium size bowl, add a pinch of salt and with an electric whisk beat the eggs white untill stiff and dry. Like this:
– Go back to the mixer. The butter + sugar should be nice and creamy. Add the egg yolks, the yogurt and the vanilla extract. Let it work for 1 minute.
– Add the baking powder to the rice flour and slowly add the dry mix in the mixer, one teaspoon at the time.
– You will obtain a thick and smooth dough
– Slowly add the stiff egg whites to the mix with a spatula or a spoon, not with the mixer or you will lose the fluffy effect. The thick dough will transform into a fluffy cream.
– Add the apple slices and gently mix.
– Transfer the mix in a springform cake pan. If the pan is in silicon you do not need to grease it. If it is a standard metal/aluminum pan you might want to grease it with some baking spray or butter.
– Final decoration: slice the remaining apple in thin slices, leave the peel (it’s more beautiful!!) and decorate the surface of the cake with the apple slices.
– Bake the apple cake in the pre-heated oven at 400 F. for 45 minutes. Let it cool down for 5 minutes and enjoy!!!