Tots, patties, balls, croquettes…are my favorite way to sneak in vegetables in my kids diet without them even noticing it. I’m not a fan of hiding vegetables and fruit in the recipes, I think that the more the kids are conscious of what they are eating, the less picky they will get. At the same time sneaking in vegetables or fruits in a recipe will let the kids get used to their taste so that, when you will offer them in the full shape they will be already used to the taste. Kids (like adults!!) like things that they already know 😉
My philosophy as a mom it to balance recipes where the “scary” ingredients are hidden with recipes where they are in full sight 😉
The Oat Vegetable Tots are a lovely recipes for toddlers and for babies starting from 9 months considering the creamy texture. This is a beautiful recipe to keep in mind if you are following the baby-led-weaning way or if you are looking for finger food ideas.
These tots are naturally Gluten free as we are using Oats and Vegetarian.
If you are cooking for little ones I suggest not to coat the tots in the Oat mix, they will be creamier without any crumbly grainy crust.
- 1 3/4 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats 150gr. + one handful for coating
- 8 oz. cauliflower 200gr.
- 2 small potatoes 100gr.
- 2 small carrots 100gr.
- 4 oz. kale 130gr.
- 2 oz. almonds 50gr.
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1.5 oz. pecorino cheese 40gr.
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Prepare the vegetables and chop them in small pieces.
- Steam the carrots/cauliflower/potatoes for 20 minutes. Let them cool down.
- In a food processor add the almonds and the oats. Mix for 20 sec enough to obtain a flour consistency.
- Add the steamed vegetables and the kale leaves. The garlic, a pinch of grated nutmeg and the grated pecorino cheese.
- Let the food processor work 1 or 2 minutes up until obtaining a smooth consistency.
- Take 1 tablespoon of mix from the food processor and create a small tot. Coat it with some oats previously minced.
- Place the tots on some parchment paper on a baking sheet and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top.
- Bake the tots in preheated oven at 400F/180C for 15/18 min.