When your kid needs an healthy boost of energy, these Chocolate Bites are a wonderful idea!
No bake, no refined sugars, no gluten….loaded with more than 10 healthy and nutritious ingredients, without mentioning the lovely chocolate taste! It’s a win-win situation: kids love them + moms love them.
The procedure is so simple that your older kids can make them by themselves 😉 I like to roll half of the bites in coconut flakes for my Luca (he likes a more crunchy texture) and leave the other half plain (Alex likes a more smooth and creamy surface).
You can prepare a nice batch, store it in an air tight container and keep the Energy Bites in the refrigerator for up to 1 months…but I’m sure they will be gone way before that 😉
Another plus of this recipe: you can size the bites following your kid’s appetite. Small or giant balls, you decide!
The bites are naturally sweetened by dried fruit: I used super soft and sweet dried apricots from the Farmer’s Market, but you can switch with any dried fruit you like.
I also used 70% cocoa chocolate chips as I like strong dark chocolate, but you can pick up the cocoa % you like.
This is a super toddler friendly recipe.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ⅓ cup dried apricots finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate
- dash of salt
- ½ cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ unsweetened shredded coconut for coating
- Chop the apricots and the chocolate. Set apart.
- In a big bowl mix together the dry ingredients: oats, cocoa powder, 1/3 cup coconut, ground flaxseed, apricots, chia seeds, chocolate and salt.
- In another small bowl place the almond butter, honey and coconut oil. Warm up in the microwave: 40 seconds total, stirring after every 20 sec. until completely melted and combined. Add in vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and stir well.
- With your hands create small balls and coat half of them with the remaining coconut.
- My Alex doesn’t like coconut flakes, so I fairly not coated 50% of the energy balls 😉
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 min to get firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 month…but I’m sure they will be gone in less than 1 week!!!