White fish fillets might not be the kind of food kids dream about, but if you transform them in fun tasty crunchy sticks and you call them “sharky fingers” the situation might drastically change in your favor 😉
They were such a hit last night at home that I didn’t cook enough for everybody, hi hi!
In order to make them more nutritious for the kids I coated them with an almond and herbs mix instead of using the traditional breadcrumbs. That being said, I naturally made them Gluten Free 🙂 If you do not have almonds in the pantry and if you are not allergic/intolerant to gluten you can use breadcrumbs instead, I suggest the Japanese Panko breadcrumbs, they will make a crispier and crunchier crust.
Which kind of fish? I used a beautiful Cat Fish that I found fresh at the market. Any kind of tender white fish will work. My suggestion is to choose one with a nice thick pulp, Mahi Mahi, Halibut, Cod. Tilapia or Sole will be too thin and you will end up with a dry fish stick 🙁
This is a super healthy recipe if you need to prepare a meal for your kids in less than 30 minutes. Picky eaters approved!
- Catfish fillet 14 oz. 400gr.
- Oregano 1 tsp
- Almonds 1 Cup 180gr.
- Eggs 2
- Lemon zest 1 Tbsp 1/2 lemon
- Parmesan cheese 2 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice 2 Tbsp 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven at 400F/180C
- Cut the fish fillets in 4inch long sticks
- Grind the almonds in a grinder/food processor/mixer in order to obtain a breadcrumbs consistency
- In a medium bowl mix the almonds with the Parmesan cheese, the oregano and the lemon zest.
- In another bowl mix the eggs with the lemon juice.
- Roll the fish sticks in the egg mix
- Coat the fish sticks with the almond mix
- Place the fish sticks one next to the other on a parchment paper on a baking sheet and drizzle some Extra Virgin Oil of Olive on top
- Bake in the oven at 400F/180C for 20 minutes