My cousin introduced me to these simply addictive tapioca cheesy balls, naturally gluten and grain free. Crispy outside and soft and gooey inside…and, of course, they taste like Parmesan cheese. No doubt that the kids LOVE them!!
Considering the ingredients, these lovely balls are a perfect toddler food or baby led weaning one (after one year)!
They are best if served warm directly from the oven, but we really really like them even the day after!! To make them crispy again I simply warm them in the toaster.
I baked them using a mini muffin pan in order to create mini toddler size buns, but you can really play with the shapes. As Easter is around the corner, I also used a silicone bunny mold to create some tapioca bunnies too 😉
- 1 cup milk 250ml - switch with cashews milk under 12 months
- 1/2 cup olive oil 130ml
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 oz tapioca flour 400gr.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese 200gr.
- Preheat the oven to 400F/180C.
- In a saucepan combine milk + oil + salt (skip salt for babies under 1 yr) and bring to boil.
- Pour the tapioca flour into a mixer with a paddle attachment. Pour the hot milk mix into the tapioca flour.
- Let the mixer work for 2 minutes at medium speed to incorporate the ingredients and let them cool down a bit.
- Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl.
- Slowly add the eggs to the tapioca mix. Let the mixer work for 1 minute.
- Add the parmesan and let it work for another minute.
- It is a very starchy dough, it can be done by hand, but it is way easier with the mixer 😉
- The final dough will be like a cake batter, a bit more dense.
- Grease a mini-muffin pan and fill each hole with the tapioca mix. Do not fill up until the top as they will puff while baking.
- Bake them for 25 min until the outside is dry and golden.
- Let them cool down 5 min and enjoy them warm