Mixing culinary traditions is fun. Sometimes a bit experimental, but fun 😉 In anticipation of the holidays I wanted to try something different for the family so I played with two of my favorite desserts: Tiramisu’ and cupcakes creating Tiramisu’ cupcakes. They have the taste of tiramisu’ with the texture of a cupcake. They have been approved by the family committee, that’s why I’m sharing them with you 😉
As we have young kids at the table I opted for a caffeine free coffee, but you can use even an espresso if you do not mind the strong flavor of coffee and caffeine!!
Here you are the ingredients for 24 mini cupcakes:
– remove the butter from the fridge so that it will be room temperature. Once the butter is nice and soft you can place it in a kitchen mixer with the sugar and let the mixer work at low speed for 3/4 minutes. You want to cream the butter.
– Once you will have obtained a nice and smooth cream you can add the applesauce and the eggs while the mixer is still working at low speed.
– Add the baking powder, the vanilla paste, the milk, the decaffeinated instant coffee and the salt
– While the mixer is still working, slowly add the flour, one tablespoon at the time
– You will obtain a smooth mix, not too running. Prepare a mini cupcake baking pan with the liners and fill each liner for 3/4 with the cupcake mix.
– bake the mini cupcakes in the preheated oven at 350 F for 20 minutes. Remember the toothpick rule: after 20 minutes if you will insert a toothpick in the center of one cupcake and it will come out dry, the cupcakes are done! Let the cupcakes cool down for 5 minutes.
– with a toothpick riddle each mini cupcake 5/6 times
– pour one teaspoon of coffee (decaffeinated in my case) on each cupcake. This is the trick in order to keep them moist!! Let them cool down completely while you prepare the frosting.
– In a kitchen mixer add the mascarpone cheese and the butter. Let the mixer work for 4/5 minutes up until the butter will get white and shiny.
– Slowly add the powdered sugar and the frosting is done!
– final decoration: with a pastry chef bag you can decorate the cupcakes in a very simple and elegant way or you can go crazy…just have fun!!
– final touch: some cocoa powder on top!
The tiramisu cupcakes are delicious. Soft and moist with a nice coffee background taste. The frosting is very creamy and you can taste the mascarpone touch. We simply loved them!!
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 medium egg white
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant decaffeinated coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tbsp decaffeinated coffee
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Place the room temperature soft butter in a stand kitchen mixer with the sugar and let it work at low speed for 3-4 minutes. You want to cream the butter.
Add the applesauce and the eggs while the mixer is still working at low speed.
Add the baking powder, the vanilla paste, the milk, the decaffeinated instant coffee and the salt.
Slowly add the flour, one tablespoon at the time.
Prepare a mini cupcake baking pan with the liners and fill each liner for 3/4 with the cupcake mix.
Bake the mini cupcakes in the preheated oven at 350 F for 20 minutes. Let them cool down completely.
Pour one teaspoon of coffee (decaffeinated in my case) on each cupcake.
In a kitchen stand mixer add the mascarpone cheese and the butter. Let the mixer work for 4-5 minutes up until the butter will get white and shiny.
Slowly add the powdered sugar.
Transfer the frosting in a pastry chef bag and decorate the cupcakes. Enjoy!
Store the cupcakes at room temperature, they will get dry in the fridge.