This is a lovely cake for the whole family: gluten + dairy + refined sugar free.
Super moist and soft for little babies, a nice idea for baby led feeding. It’s also appropriate for an allergy free birthday party or simply to enjoy a super yummy apple cake, no matter how old you are 😉
I would serve the cake starting from 8 months due to the grainy texture of the millet, or, once the millet mix is cooked, you can simply use an immersion blender to obtain a smooth consistency.
If you are serving the cake to a baby, you might want either to remove or to thinly cut the apples on the decoration on top.
If you are interested in the apple sweetener I used, it’s called Dolcedi, by RigoniDiAsiago
- 5.5 oz. millet 150gr.
- 2 cups almond or coconut milk 500 ml
- 1 Tbsp apple sweetener or honey after 12 months
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil 60gr.
- lemon 1 zest
- 2 eggs
- 7 Tbsp coconut sugar 50gr.
- 2 oz. rice flour 3 Tbsp
- 2 apples 1 for decoration
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small pot heat the milk with the grated lemon zest, the apple sweetener and the coconut oil.
- When the milk is almost boiling, add the millet and stir.
- Simmer for 30/35 min, up until the millet if fully cooked. Turn the heat off and let it cool down.
- In a stand mixer add the eggs and the sugar, let it work at minimum for 10 minutes: you want to obtain a light foamy mix.
- Slowly add the rice flour + baking soda + baking powder + salt + vanilla and the millet mix.
- Slice one apple with a mandolin. Add the apple to the mix.
- Fill a cake pan (24cm) with the batter. Use a second apple to decorate on top.
- Bake at 375F/175C for 50 min.