Ham&Potato croquettes are simply delicious: creamy, tasty, bite size with a melting mozzarella heart!
Today I want to share with you a kid friendly version of the traditional recipe: the croquettes are baked and not fried. I also added some zucchini to the mix to make them lighter (and to add some veggies!!). As I didn’t use any egg, the mix was very soft and I added few handful of breadcrumbs to bind everything together.
I used some leftover ham from Thanksgiving, you can also use Mortadella/Bologna (more tasty)
You can also use other kind of seasonal vegetables (carrots/broccoli/cauliflower).
- 2 lb potatoes 1Kg.
- 11 oz. zucchini 2 medium
- 15 oz. leftover Ham 400gr.
- 2 mozzarella 250gr.
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs 250gr. + 1 Cup for coating
- 1/2 Cup milk 125ml.
- 10 oz. ricotta 300gr.
- Preheat the oven at 180C/400F. Cut the potatoes in cubes and the zucchini in big pieces.
- Fill a bit pot with water, bring to boil. When the water is boiling add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and keep cooking for 5 min (15 min total).
- Drain the vegetables and place them in a big bowl.
- Using a fork mash the potatoes and the zucchini, set apart.
- In a food processor add the ham in pieces, the ricotta cheese and the milk. Puree' everything for 2 minutes to create a smooth consistency.
- Add the ham mix to the vegetable mix.
- Also add the breadcrumbs. Stir well.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese in short sticks, 2 inches long.
- Place 1 Cup of breadcrumbs in a dish. Place 1 Tablespoon of ham/veggie mix in your hand. Press one mozzarella stick in the center and cover it with the mix.
- Roll the croquette in your hands to give it a smooth shape. Coat the croquette with the breadcrumbs and place in on a parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle some extra virgin Olive oil on top and bake at 400F/180C for 25 minutes.
- Flip the croquettes once after 15 minutes in order to have a crispy skin on both sides. If you want, you can also add 5 minutes at the end in broiling mode to have that nice golden crispy color!