My favorite recipes are the ones that can happily feed the whole family: baby AND the rest of the family at the same time. We all have very busy schedules and being able to prepare one meal for everyone in less than one hour using the same healthy ingredients for me is a big big plus 😉
Today’s soup is a wonderful complete healthy baby food AND – at the same time – a lovely warm comforting recipe for the rest of the family.
A creamy and delicate super nutritious soup, rich in fiber (thanks to the cauliflower and the chick peas) and loaded with protein thanks to the chick peas.
Considering that the chickpeas are in the legumes family I would suggest this recipe starting from 10 months. Legumes can cause gas/tummy ache or even diaper rash in very young babies (6/8 months) being loaded with fibers.
Which kind of chick peas (aka garbanzo beans) to use? The super easy way to go is the canned chick peas. Try to find a product without salt. Otherwise you can use the dried beans. Soak them in water overnight to soften them and add them to the soup at the very beginning, with all the vegetables as they will need to cook.
Also, for the adults/older kids, you might want to add a pinch of salt when serving the plates or an extra tablespoon of Parmesan cheese 😉
- 1 can 15.5 oz chickpeas no added salt 500 g
- 1 small cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 to mato
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 onion
- 1 rosemary stalk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese for each person
- wash the cauliflower and cut the florets. Cut the vegetables in pieces.
- Fill 3/4 of a medium pot with water. Add the cauliflower, the onion, celery, carrot and tomato.
- Place the rosemary, bay leaves and garlic in a cheese cloth, close with some twine.
- Add the herbs pouch in the pot too.
- Bring the water to boil and cook for 20 min.
- Turn the heat off. Remove the herb pouch and add the chickpeas (drained and rinsed under running water).
- Using and immersion blender create a nice and smooth puree.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top and a teaspoon of grated Parmesan Cheese.