The Holidays are getting closer and closer and I’m already thinking about a tasty and yummy menu for my family, super kid friendly 😉
Butternut squash (or pumpkin or any variety of squash) is now in season and is a must for the Holiday table. I’ve been preparing it in so many ways (lasagne filling or pasta sauce, roasted, turkey stuffing…) and today I would like to share with you a very tasty butternut squash recipe that can be an appetizer or a light entree for your Holiday menu.
The cheesy butternut squash balls can be prepared in advance and frozen before baking. The day of the party you simply bake them directly from the freezer adding 5 minutes to the suggested baking time. Yum!!
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, cut in cubes and roasted (250gr.)
- 9 oz. ricotta cheese 250gr.
- 1 Tbsp parsley minced
- 3 small potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 cup Pecorino cheese 70gr.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs 100gr.
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 cup breadcrumbs + 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- Peel the butternut squash and chop it in small pieces.
- Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet lined with some parchment paper: roast in preheated oven at 220C/425F for 25minutes
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes (peeled): 20 min from when the water starts boiling.
- In a bowl add the roasted butternut squash and the ricotta cheese.
- Using an immersion blender create a smooth puree: you can always use a food processor or a blender, I like the immersion blender as there are less pieces to clean 😉
- Add the mashed potatoes, eggs, pecorino cheese, breadcrumbs, sweet paprika, parsley, salt
- mix everything
- Create tiny small balls with your hands
- Coat them with a breadcrumbs and paprika mix
- Place on a parchment paper on a baking sheet
- Drizzle some Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top
- Bake in preheated oven at 400F/180C for 20 min.