Croquettes, patties, meatballs, they are all very kid friendly: maybe for the easy to hold shape and size, maybe for the creamy and smooth texture. They are also a mom’s favorite as you can really load them with tons of veggies and proteins. This is definitely a picky eater recipe 😉
Today I decided to prepare some baked fish croquettes, mixing them with seasonal vegetables: cauliflowers and potatoes. I ended up with super creamy and tasty (thanks to the Pecorino cheese!!!) croquettes.
Being Halloween time I decided to play with the shapes and with the help of two black olives and one green bell pepper I created a pack of spooky fun creatures 😉
As the croquette mix is very easy to handle you can have fun creating new and different shapes following the Holiday seasons!!
- 0.65 lb. white fish fillet 250gr.
- 16 oz. potatoes 400gr.
- 16 oz. cauliflower 400gr.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese 30gr.
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 40gr.
- nutmeg a pinch
- 1 Tbsp minced parsley
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs for coating
- For the Halloween decoration:
- 2 black olives pitted
- 1 green bell pepper
- Peel the potatoes and boil them (20 minutes from when the water starts boiling)
- Steam the cauliflower for 15 minutes
- Add the fish fillet in the steamer next to the cauliflowers and keep steaming for extra 5 minutes
- In a big bowl mash the potatoes with a potato masher
- Add the cauliflower and the fish. Mesh with a fork.
- Add 1 full egg and 1 yolk (reserve 1 egg white for later).
- Add the grated Pecorino cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, parsley, nutmeg, pinch of salt
- Mix everything
- Cover the bowl with some plastic paper and refrigerate for 30min
- Prepare a dish with the egg white. Whisk with a fork for few seconds.
- Next to it, prepare a dish with the breadcrumbs.
- Remove the fish mix from the refrigerator. Take one tablespoon of mix and shape it like a cylinder with your hands.
- Coat the fish croquette with the egg white first and with the breadcrumbs later.
- Place the croquette on a parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Place two black olive slices on one short side of the croquette to create the monster eyes
- Slice the green bell pepper in two inches strips
- Insert three strips on each long side of the croquette in order to create the legs of the monster
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C/400F for 20 min.
- If you use fresh ingredients you can freeze the fish croquettes right before baking them, they will be perfect for a super fast dinner: you will just need to bake them in the oven straight from the freezer 😉