The Holiday season is almost here and I always like to add few super kid friendly recipes in my menu. Easy to prepare and always on the healthy side!
The traditional scalloped potatoes recipe is delicious: creamy, tasty and comforting. I started with that concept in mind and I substituted few ingredients in order to make it lighter and with more veggies inside, but still delicious!
You can prepare the scalloped potatoes in advance few days before, store it in the refrigerator or freeze it and bake it the day of the party.
I added Speck ham to give a smoked salty flavor to the recipe. If you cannot find it or you would like a vegetarian option, you can substitute the Speck with a salty cheese like Pecorino or Manchego.
- 3 lb. red potatoes 1Kg.
- 14 oz. fontina cheese 400gr.
- 5 oz. speck 150gr.
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 8 Tbsp ricotta cheese
- 5 green onions
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Oil of Olive
- 2 zucchini
- 2 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- Chop the spring onions in small slices. Slice the zucchini in thick long slices, 1/4 inch (4 mm). Peel and slice the potatoes in thick slices too, 1/4 inch (4 mm).
- In a medium size frying pan add two tablespoons of Olive Oil. Turn the heat on at high and add the spring onions. Stir and cook for 2/3 minutes. Add the zucchini slices and adjust with a pinch of salt. Cook at low/medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile blanch the potato slices in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and let it cool down.
- Grease a rectangular shape baking pan with few tablespoons of Olive Oil. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Layer all the ingredients starting with the potato slices. Add the speck ham. Spread few tablespoons of ricotta cheese, fontina cheese in slices. One layer of zucchini. Start again with another sequence of potatoes, Speck ham, ricotta cheese, fontina cheese, zucchini.
- The last top layer will be potatoes, fontina cheese and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the baking pan with an aluminum foil.
- Bake in the oven (already preheated) at 400F/180C for 35 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and keep baking for and additional 30 minutes.