When it comes to eat vegetables and legumes, some kids can get very picky and stubborn, I know it by experience 😉
That’s why I really like today’s kind of recipe: kids are happy and moms are happy too! Using a traditional pancake recipe I just added some frozen sweet peas in the batter getting a beautiful bright green pancakes tower. Thanks to the sweet peas, the pancakes have a delicate lightly sweet taste that can be easily turned either in a sweet or in a savory dish. All depends on the topping that you are going to use. I offered my little Alex few pancakes with just some cream cheese on top and he really liked them. For Luca I prepared a pancake sandwich with cream cheese and smoked salmon. You can always go for the sweet version and spread some good homemade marmalade on top or just a sprinkle of maple syrup.
Sweet peas, also, are a wonderful source of proteins and very high in folic acid. Both very good things for your kids’ diet.
Here you are the ingredients for 10/12 medium size pancakes:
And that’s how to proceed:
– Add the frozen sweet peas in a pan of boiling water and cook them for 2 minutes. Drain
– Place the sweet peas in a food processor. Add the milk, a pinch of salt and mix for 2/3 minutes.
– Pour the green peas mix in a medium bowl. Add the egg, the whole wheat flour, the baking soda and the potato starch. Whisk in order to obtain a smooth cream.
– Grease a frying pan with some cooking spray. Turn the heat on at medium and pour 1/2 ladle of green peas mix in the center. Gently shake the pan in order to give a nice round shape to our mix. Let the pancake cook on one side for 2/3 minutes. When you will see that few bubbles will be formed in the center of the pancake, flip it on the other side and let it cook for additional 1/2 minutes.
– Remove the pancake from the pan and keep going!! Enjoy 😉
Did you make this recipe? Share the love, tag @buonapappa on Instagram and hashtag it #buonapappa I would love to see your creations!
Sweet peas green pancakes recipe | CHANNLLMarch 17, 2015 at 5:15 am
[…] https://www.buonapappa.net/sweet-peas-green-pancakes/ […]
maiaJuly 13, 2015 at 9:27 pm
i’m 12 years old, and i’ve never tried them but the recipes on this site clever and look really delicious. i can’t wait to try them!
Barbara LampertiJuly 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
😉 brava!! b
Mary LuvMay 12, 2019 at 9:57 pm
Hi can i use oat flour for this pancake? thankie
Barbara LampertiSeptember 25, 2019 at 6:39 pm
Hi Mary, yes you can. Just remember that oats do not have gluten, a binding element, so the pancakes will not come out so compact as the original recipe. Thank you for watching, ciao! b
VivianJune 26, 2020 at 7:13 am
What can I use as substitute for potato starch? Ty
Barbara LampertiOctober 19, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Tapioca flour, corn starch are a great substitute. If you don’t have any of them, simply skip it. The potato starch makes the whole wheat flour lighter and fluffier. Ciao! b