Savory pancakes? why not! with zucchini and cheese 🙂
The procedure is more or less the same of the sweet pancakes. The only big difference is that I divided the egg white from the yolk and I whipped the whites to firm peaks. I incorporated the egg whites to the pancake mix at the very end, very slowly: that making the pancakes very fluffy.
I grated the zucchini, half very thinly and the other half medium thin. If your little one is a picky eater you might want to grate the whole zucchini very thinly so that it will be fully hidden in the pancakes 🙂
Savory pancakes are a wonderful idea for a brunch or a picnic. They are a light complete meal for kids (rich in protein and loaded with vegetables).
- 1 zucchini
- 3/4 cup flour 180gr.
- 2/3 cup milk 150ml.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 3 oz. aged Asiago or Gouda cheese 90gr.
- Cut the zucchini in half and grate one half thinly and the other half very thinly. If your child is a very picky eater you might want to grate the whole zucchini very thinly so that the zucchini will be very well hidden in the pancakes 🙂
- Squeeze the zucchini with your hands to remove the extra water.
- Divide the egg whites from the yolks and place in separate bowls.
- Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and whisk them with an electric beater up until forming firm peaks.
- In a third bowl mix the flour with the baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set apart
- In the yolks bowl add the milk; whisk very well.
- Slowly add the flour mix. whisk very well.
- Add the grated Asiago cheese and Parmesan cheese. mix.
- Add the grated zucchini. mix
- Slowly add the egg whites and slowly incorporate them to the mix.
- Grease a small size frying pan with some oil. Turn the heat on at low and place one ladle of zucchini mix in the center. Shake the pan to evenly distribute the pancake mix and form a circular shape.
- Cook for 2 minutes up until small bubbles will start forming on the pancake surface.
- Flip on the other side and cook for another minute.
- Keep cooking the pancakes. Serve warm or cold, they are both good!!