Young picky eaters 99% of the times do not like vegetables and do not like green (aka 90% of vegetables). I like finding creative and healthy ways to offer vegetables to kids without them even noticing it. Usually it works. But what works too is using the powerful colors of vegetables all together to surprise and excite curiosity in your kids. The vegetable frittata is loaded with seasonal vegetables, full of colors and cut in different shapes. You can serve it to your kids cut in slices or you can play with shapes even more and use cookie cutters to have fun with frittata bites!!
It’s a nice idea for a lunchbox or for a spring picnic too.
The frittata has a light and fluffy texture thanks to the plain greek yogurt that I substituted to the heavy cream or creme fraiche requested by the original recipe.
Here you are all the ingredients that you will need for 6 servings:
And that’s how to proceed:
– Wash the swiss chard and remove only the leaves (the stems, even cooked, will be too tough for this recipe). Place them in boiling water for just 5 minutes (you do not want to overcook them and loose all the good nutrients inside). Drain them and let them cool down.
– Steam the sweet peas for 6 minutes.
– Wash and prepare the other vegetables. Chop the spring onion in small pieces. Do the same with the carrots.
– Add three tablespoons of water in a frying pan. Turn the heat on at medium. Add the spring onions and the carrots. Cook for 10/15 minutes stirring occasionally and adding some lukewarm water two/three times to prevent them from drying out.
– In a medium bowl add all the other ingredients: eggs + pinch of salt + yogurt + grated parmesan cheese. Stir
– Take the swiss chard and squeeze them in bunches in your hands. You want to remove the extra water. Chop them in small small pieces.
– Add the swiss chard and the sweet peas to the other vegetables.
– Also add the egg mix and the cheese cut in cubes. Mix. Add some fresh basil leaves broken in pieces.
– Take a medium size rectangular baking dish, grease with some olive oil and sprinkle an handful of breadcrumbs on the bottom. Fill with the frittata mix and level the surface.
– Bake the frittata in the preheated oven at 350F./180C. for 50/60 minutes. Enjoy!!!
Did you make this recipe? Share the love, tag @buonapappa on Instagram and hashtag it #buonapappa I would love to see your creations!
Vegetable frittata recipe – BuonaPappa |January 2, 2017 at 9:01 pm
[…] Vegetable Frittata […]