A fun and tasty appetizer for the holidays 😉 Kids love the lollipop concept: easy to handle and fun! Why not transforming a savory pastry appetizer in cute and yummy Xmas tree pops??
I used already made puff pastry and a simple broccoli and Feta cheese filling. A nice way to offer green veggies to the kids ;-). You can really personalize the filling following your kids’ taste: spinach&ricotta or ham&cheese or tomato&mozzarella or pesto…
You can prepare the savory pastries the day before the party, store them in the refrigerator already in the baking sheet and covered with some plastic paper and just bake them right before the party starts!
How to proceed:
- 2 sheets or rolls puff pastry
- 5 oz. broccoli florets 150gr.
- 3.5 oz. feta cheese 100gr.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sweet peas
- Preheat the oven at 400F/180C. Cut the broccoli florets and blanch them in boiling water for 4 minutes.
- Drain and set apart. Place the broccoli in a food processor all together with the feta cheese and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Mix for 1 minute to obtain a smooth creamy texture
- Place the puff pastry between two parchment paper foils. Using a rolling pin try to flat the puff pastry even more in a very thin layer, 1/8 inch.
- Using a big size Christmas tree cookie cutter (5x3 inch) cut an even number of trees.
- Place half of the trees on a parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Place half teaspoon of broccoli and cheese mix in the center of each tree.
- To make it even more fun place a popsicle wooden stick at the base of each tree.
- Cover the filling with the other half of the trees.
- Gently tap with your fingers the borders of each tree to secure the filling in
- With a fork press the borders to further close the trees.
- Place 3/4 sweet peas on top of each tree as decoration. Brush with some milk
- Bake in the oven at 400F/180C for 15/18 minutes