Meatballs are such an easy picky eater pleaser 🙂 Here you are four reasons why I love them
1 – They are super versatile: you can really add anything you want and hide tons of veggies inside!!
2 – They are Super Easy to prepare. The concept is very basic: trow all the ingredients in a bowl + mix + create tiny balls with your hands + bake. And even if the balls are not perfectly round…that’s fine 🙂
3 – They freeze perfectly. I usually double the quantities of the recipe, prepare the meatballs on two trays, bake one and freeze the other. Once frozen (after 2/3 hours) I remove the meatballs from the tray and place them in a freezer plastic bag or container as it takes less room.
When I’m in a hurry for dinner (or I do not want to cook – yes, it happenes to me too!!!!), I simply place them back on a baking sheet, drizzle some Olive oil on top and bake them directly from frozen just adding 6/8 more minutes to the usual baking time.
4 – They are a wonderful leftover. The next day they are a perfect school lunch idea or they can be mixed with some fresh marinara sauce and be a lovely dressing for a pasta (aka Pasta with meatballs)
Now you know why I love meatballs and I keep sharing with you new recipes how to make them 🙂
Today I wanted to try a different texture and flavor.
I added quinoa (super healthy super food, naturally gluten free) and few spices.
I also added an unusual ingredient for meatballs: grated apple. The apple keeps the meatballs moist and balances the spices flavor.
Considering the ingredients and the texture, this is a wonderful toddler recipe (or a baby recipe starting from 10 months due to the grainy texture of the meatballs).
- 16 oz. Organic ground beef 500gr.
- 3 Cups cooked quinoa 900gr.
- 1 large Fuji apple grated
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste no salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven at 350F/180C
- Place all the ingredients in a big bowl in the sequence you prefer
- Mix everything
- Place one tablespoon of mix in your hands and roll it forming a small ball
- Place the meatballs on a parchment paper on a baking sheet
- Drizzle some Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top of the meatballs
- Bake for 30 minutes