Last week I dedicated a post about Baby Cereals in general: which one to choose from, homemade vs store bought ones, arsenic levels in rice….some basic information I thought new moms might be interested in 🙂 (if you missed it out, here you are the link).
To add more to the “Baby Cereal” topic, today I’m sharing with you the super simple recipe to make homemade Baby Cereals (any kind you like, the recipe it’s all the same!!!).
Basically all you really need is a very powerful food processor to transform the grains in flour. That’s all 😉 I don’t know how many food processors/blenders I’ve been using…and destroying through the years (I’m very rough with them, hi hi!). I think that a powerful food processor is a needed investment in the kitchen, either if you are preparing baby food or simply cooking for your family. If you are curious to know what I use, that’s my new “investment” that I’m very happy with 🙂
Here you are the simple procedure:
- Rinse the cereal under running water to remove the debris and any unwanted element on the surface
- Let them dry out on a clean kitchen cloth. It should take nothing more than 1 hour.
- Place the cereal in a food processor and blend up until you will obtain a flour consistency. It took me 5 minutes
- Now you have two options:
- STORE the baby cereal in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 months
- COOK the baby cereal for your little one right away
- In a medium pan add 1 Cup of water and 1/4 cup baby cereal
- Cook for 10 minutes at medium/low heat, keep stirring.
- Thin the baby cereal with either hot water/breastmilk/baby formula to reached the desired consistency
Few additional information:
- You can mix the cooked baby cereal with a veggie or fruit puree to create a more complete meal for your little one
- You can store the cooked baby cereal leftovers in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to three days.
- You can freeze the cooked baby cereal for up to three months in an air tight baby food container even if I suggest to grind it in flour and simply store the flour in the refrigerator and cook a small amount when needed.
- Homemade Baby Cereal cannot be given raw to your baby, it needs to be cooked. The instant store bought baby cereal is pre-cooked, that’s why you can simply mix it with some hot liquid and serve immediately to your baby.
- If your food processor is not enough strong to create a flour consistency, don’t worry. You can always use a kitchen strainer to separate the flour from the small chunks.
If you just entered the amazing exciting world of homemade baby food, you might be interested in these videos too:
How to thaw frozen baby food
How to thin baby food
How to freeze baby food
Can I give salt to my baby?
Introducing Solids in your baby’s diet
Introducing Dairy in your baby’s diet
Baby food cooking methods
Baby Cold remedy
Baby Constipation Food Remedy
Baby Diarrhea Food Remedy
To store my homemade baby cereal I used Glass Baby Food Cubes, 4oz, by Green Spouts, you can find them here.
Did you make this recipe? Share the love, tag @buonapappa on Instagram and hashtag it #buonapappa I would love to see your creations!
Yuli HarmanDecember 9, 2017 at 5:54 pm
JessOctober 22, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Where’s the actual recipe?? No ingredients or measurements listed on any of the recipes I’ve looked at… would like to make a few but can’t
Barbara LampertiApril 9, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Hi Jess! The recipe instructions are in the video. There are no quantities as all depends how much flour you want to make. Consider that 1 cup or grains usually makes 1 1/2 cup of correspondent flour. I hope it helps and let me know should you have any other question!! Ciao, b
How to make Homemade Baby Cereal | Buona Pappa – PinterestApril 18, 2020 at 3:08 pm
[…] READ FULL INSTRUCTIONS […]
CandiousMarch 16, 2021 at 1:19 am
Hi can you mix this in with breast milk like the regular baby cereal or does it always have to be cooked with water before hand?
Barbara LampertiMay 26, 2021 at 8:08 pm
Hi! Yes, you can use breastmilk for thinning the cooked baby cereal. I would not use breastmilk to cook the baby cereal as the heat will destroy many of the awesome nutrients in breastmilk. Thinning the baby cereal is fine as you will add the breastmilk at room temperature without heating it up. Ciao! B
Sarah CAugust 3, 2021 at 1:23 am
Can you cooked a single portion in the microwave? How much cereal does 1/4 cup of the flour make?
Barbara LampertiJanuary 6, 2022 at 3:22 am
Hi! Good questions.
Microwave. Yes you can. The microwave cooks in a totally different way from the stove. Faster. I would place the 1 Cup of water and 1/4 cup baby cereal in a ceramic or glass or microwave safe (not plastic) container and cook for 1 minute. Open, stir and keep cooking for 30 sec. Open, stir and cook for another 30 sec. Total of 2 minutes. That should be enough. Once cooked stir well and let it cool down before serving to your baby. Taste it on your palm to see if it’s too hot.
1/4 cup cereal cooked with 1 cup water becomes 3/4 cup. I hope I was helpful, ciao B