Summertime salads are the best! They can be prepared ahead and served cold at lunchtime 🙂
This version with salmon and fresh vegetables is a perfect complete meal for the whole family. Vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates all in one spoon! If your kids are not big salmon fans, you can switch it with some other protein source: another fish, chicken, grilled beef or if you want to go vegetarian a nice handful of chick peas will work.
This recipe is also baby friendly. Simply skip the salt in the recipe. You will add it at the very end when serving the salad to adults or older kids. Place a baby portion in a blender with some thinning liquid of your choice (breastmilk, baby formula, hot water, vegetable broth…) and mix everything creating a smooth healthy baby puree’.
- 1 Cup uncooked farro 200gr.
- 1/2 lb. fresh salmon 200gr.
- 1 Cup frozen sweet peas 150gr.
- 1 medium zucchini 200gr.
- 1/2 Cup carrots 80gr.
- 1 Cup bell pepper 110gr.
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- Fill a medium pot with water.
- Bring the water to a boil, add a pinch of salt, the paprika and the farro
- Cook for 12 minutes or as directed on the farro packaging
- Cut the zucchini, the carrots, the sweet bell peppers in small cubes
- Place them in a steamer with the frozen sweet peas and steam for 15 min
- Drain the farro and let it cool down
- Slice the salmon in small cubes
- add 2 Tbsp of Extra virgin Olive oil in a frying pan. Turn the heat on at medium and let the oil warm up for 1 minute.
- add the salmon and cook for for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice and adjusting with a pinch of salt. Turn the heat off and let it cool down for 5 minutes
- In a bowl add all the ingredients: the farro, the steamed vegetables, the salmon. Drizzle some Extra Virgin Olive oil on top and serve either warm or cold.