My kids love crackers (and bread). It’s a super quick, filling and comforting snack. That’s why I’m very picky about the kind of crackers that I buy for them. I always double check the (long) list of ingredients to see what is really inside. Sometimes you can’t really imagine what they can hide under a lovely cheesy flavor 🙁
I have a selected list of brands/products that I trust and that I always keep in the pantry ready to use and, at the same time, I love baking my own crackers. Despite the common idea, homemade crackers are super easy to prepare…and they taste way better, without mentioning that you really know what’s inside 😉
Today I prepared some chickpeas crackers using some chickpeas flour left from another recipe. They came out nutty, crispy outside and soft in your mouth. I really really liked them. To be sincere the kids liked more the batch I did without seeds on top 😉
You can prepare a nice batch, bake it and simply store the crackers in a container on the countertop for weeks…but I’m sure they will be gone in few days!!
The chickpea crackers are a lovely toddler snack idea or (simply skipping the top seeds and skipping or reducing the salt) a baby led weaning one.
TIP: to spread the chickpea mix on the baking sheet I used a silicone mat, way easier than using some parchment paper.
- 3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup chickpea flour 100gr.
- 1/2 cup water 115 ml.
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp minced rosemary
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp ground almonds 40gr.
- sesame seeds
- sunflower seeds
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C and line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat.
- Stir the flax into the water and let it thicken few minutes.
- In a bowl add in sequence and mix: the flour, the almonds, the garlic, the salt, the rosemary, the oil, the egg white and the flaxseed mix.
- Scrape the sticky mix onto the pan and spread it as thinly and evenly as you can.
- Sprinkle on top with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and a pinch of sea salt
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cut the large sheet in small toddler size squares.
- Place back in the oven for 6 minutes to get nice and crispy!