Crackers are a nice savory snack for the kids, better if offered altogether with fresh veggies or a nice spread (hummus!!). Homemade cheese crackers can be as tasty and crispy as the store bought ones. In addition to that you can control 100% the quality of the ingredients you are using, avoiding food coloring, too much salt, too much sugar and any other “not so healthy” ingredient used 😉
Also, you can really play with the shapes following the seasonal holidays 😉
- 2 Cup flour 300gr.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp butter 90gr.
- 2/3 Cup water 150ml.
- 6 oz. extra sharp Cheddar cheese 180gr.
- Preheat the oven at 350F/175C
- In a food processor add flour, salt, butter and the grated cheese. I used sharp Cheddar cheese but you can also use Gouda or Edamer cheese
- Let the food processor work and slowly add the water, 1 tablespoon at the time
- In less than 5 minutes you will obtain a nice compact dough
- Wrap in plastic paper and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Place the dough in between two foils of parchment paper. You might want to cut the dough in 3/4 pieces if you do not have a big working station. Roll the dough with a rolling pin in order to obtain a thin 1/8 inch layer
- Using a small cookie cutter (I used the small ones for fondant) cut out the shapes that you like.
- Place the small crackers on a parchment paper or silky mat on a baking sheet, one next to the other, leaving some space in between.
- Using a toothpick poke some holes in each cracker. This is a very important phase not to get the crackers doughy but fluffy and light instead.
- Bake the crackers for 20 minutes until lightly golden and crispy
- Check at 15 minutes, every oven is different!!
- Let cool on baking sheet, they will keep crisping up while cooling down