I think it happens to you very often too: you’re in the middle of preparing lunch or dinner and your kids come to you with a starving face asking for food and not being able to wait a single second more 😉
Yes, you can always choose the hard way and tell them to wait just a bit more, but get ready to deal with a lot of complains and wining. Or you can offer them a small healthy snack that will keep them satisfied for the 10/15 minutes that you will need to serve your meal.
My favorite “quick healthy snack” solution is hummus + vegetables or crackers or bread. I do have several hummus recipes that we like pending the seasonal vegetables that I can find at the Farmer’s Market. Today I’m happy to share with you a roasted carrots hummus recipe that will be a nice idea as appetizer for a kid friendly Holiday menu’.
Also, the roasted carrots hummus is an incredible baby food recipe starting from 10 months. Same ingredients and procedure as the toddler/kid/adult recipe with just ONE difference: the salt. Babies do not need added salt in their food. The recommendation is not to add any salt to your baby food up until at least one year. That’s why you can prepare the carrots hummus without salt, serve it to your baby and than simply add a pinch of salt to the quantity you would like to serve to the rest of the family!
For this same reason be sure to choose a Garbanzo beans canned variety that is organic and without salt.
Garbanzo beans are very high in fiber, iron and they are a wonderful source of non animal proteins. Carrots too are a wonderful food for your baby: loaded with Beta-carotene they improve your baby’s immune system.
The hummus can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 7/8 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- 4 carrots
- 6 Tbsp Extra Virgin Oil of Olive
- 1 clove garlic
- 14 oz. chick peas - garbanzo beans 400gr
- 8 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt not for baby food!!
- Prepare the carrots: peel them and cut in strips
- Place the carrots on a parchment paper on a baking sheet. Drizzle some Extra Virgin oil of olive on top.Bake in preheated oven at 200C/400F for 30 minutes
- Place the roasted carrots in a food processor all together with the other ingredients: chick peas, garlic, oil of olive, water, lemon juice, salt (if you are not serving the hummus to your baby).
- Mix for 2 minutes up until smooth and creamy
- Enjoy or store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 8 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you are interested in the baby food containers and spoon I used in the recipe (I really like them!!), here you are all the info:
- glass containers with lid in different sizes (pending on your baby’s age) from GreenSprouts
- green silicone spoon from Olababy