Did you know that quinoa is actually a seed and not a grain? Still, it is packed with fiber, calcium, iron and folate. That’s why quinoa is an healthy food to add in your baby’s diet starting at 6 months of age. Being super easy to digest, you can really start introducing quinoa in your baby’s diet from the very beginning.
Quinoa is super simple to prepare, almost like rice and couscous: you let it cook for 15 min in some boiling water, that’s it! and that’s why, while I prepare a baby recipe using quinoa, I always cook a bigger amount so that I can make a nice quinoa salad for the rest of the family. One family, one meal 🙂
An additional bonus: quinoa is gluten free, so it’s perfect if your baby is allergic/intolerant to gluten.
Also, thanks to its high protein content (higher than any grain!!), quinoa is a wonderful source of protein if your baby is following a vegetarian diet.
This nutritious grain makes a great addition to your little one’s diet. It’s a very versatile ingredient, perfect for sweet or savory baby meals. Today we are going to prepare a delicate sweet recipe: mango, apple and quinoa baby puree’.
- 1 Cup fresh mango 1/2 mango
- 1 Cup steamed apple 1 small apple
- 1 Cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 Cup thinning liquid residual steaming water from the apple or milk or breast milk or formula milk or water
- Core the apple and chop in big pieces. Leave the skin: as we are going to steam it and puree it, it will be easy to eat and digest.
- Steam the apple for 10 minutes
- Peel one mango and cut it in pieces.
- Add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of non cooked quinoa in a sauce pan. Stir and let it boil.
- When the water is boiling, reduce the heat to minimum, cover with a lid and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- You will obtain 3 cups of cooked quinoa. You can use 2 cups to make a nice quinoa salad for the rest of the family.
- In a tall container place 1 cup of cooked quinoa, 1 cup of steamed apple, 1 cup of fresh mango and 1/2 cup of the residual water from the steamer. If you want to know more about how to thin your baby food, check this video
- With the help of an immersion blender create a nice and smooth puree
- Enjoy the baby puree right away room temperature or lightly warm or store it in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months
The quantities suggested in the recipe will make 8/9 baby portions. You can offer one to your little one as soon as you prepare it and store the remaining ones either in the refrigerator for 3 days max or in the freezer for up to 3 months. I used a very functional 100% silicone baby food container with lid by Lilipopkids. You can find it at www.lilipopkids.com or on Amazon