Every kid loves Mac&Cheese, it’s the #1 kid comfort food: creamy, warm, cheesy.
For the upcoming Holidays I decided to prepare an healthy version of the traditional Mac&Cheese adding two seasonal ingredients like butternut squash and kale to give an extra punch of nutrients to the recipe.
As I’m cooking for little picky eaters I decided to incorporate the vegetables in a super smooth and creamy sauce so that no complaints could be risen 😉
Also, I prepared a big batch of sauce that I partially used for dinner and partially froze for future meals.
Considering the ingredients this is a wonderful toddler recipe +12 months. If you would like to serve it to younger babies, +8 months you can simply skip the salt (you will add it later for adults) and substitute milk with either coconut milk or just broth.
- 1 lb short shaped pasta 500gr.
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium butternut squash 1,5kg / 3lb
- 5 oz. kale 150gr.
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth 1,25 lt.
- ¾ cup milk 200 ml.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded mix of cheeses:
- fontina 3oz 80gr. +
- parmesan 2oz 50gr. +
- aged gouda 2oz 50gr.
- Mince the onions into very small pieces
- Heat the Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium low heat and add the onions.
- Sauté over low heat until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Peel the skin and remove the seeds from the squash. Cut the pulp into small cubes.
- In a medium pot add the broth, the squash and the kale. bring to boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes from boil.
- Drain the broth and reserve 2 cups of broth apart.
- In the pot with the vegetables add the onions, milk, salt, and 1 cup of broth
- With an immersion blender puree until completely smooth and creamy. If you need you can add more broth to obtain the desired consistency.
- Cook the pasta following the directions on the packaging and drain.
- Pour the pureed sauce over the cooked pasta and add the shredded cheeses. Stir to melt the cheeses; add broth to adjust consistency as needed.