I really like this baby puree’ combo as it’s delicate in taste and easy to digest for little tummies. I would recommend offering it to your baby starting from 6 months of age. In addition to that I selected the ingredients for their valuable amount of iron: all together they represent a lovely iron boosting recipe for your baby.
Even if iron deficiency is not your issue, adding an iron boosting recipe in your baby’s meal plan here and there is always a good thing to keep the iron levels under control 🙂
While researching for the best combo for this recipe I found some interesting facts that I would like to share:
- Considering the same quantity, ground turkey has more iron than chicken breast (2.27 mg per 3 oz serving vs 0.88 mg). Ground turkey and ground beef have more or less the same amount (2.27 mg vs 2.06 mg). Surprisingly duck has more iron than all the previous kind of meat (2.3mg!!).
- Generally speaking, all potatoes have a pretty amount of iron, but certain ones have more than others. One russet potato has 1.5 mg iron, while one red potato has 2.1 mg iron.
- Herbs definitely give more flavor and aroma to the food…but they also contain nutrients! Parsley has a remarkable 0.2mg iron content per Tbsp, better than thyme 🙂
To prepare the baby puree I steamed all the ingredients, a gentle way of cooking that I really like for baby food.
You simply start peeling, deseeding and chopping the winter squash (also called Delicata squash) in cubes. Do not peel the red potato (the peel is high in iron!!) but chop it in cubes.
Place the potato and squash in a steamer and on top of them place the ground turkey. Steam for 12 min.
Transfer the turkey and veggies in a tall container. Add the fresh parsley and the hemp seeds. Using an immersion blender transform into a smooth puree. Use the residual water from the steamer to thin the puree’ if needed.
Serve warm and drizzle one teaspoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top to add extra good fats to the recipe!
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
If you are looking for more iron boosting recipe:
- Spinach Pear Oats Baby Puffs
- Quinoa Salmon Broccoli Balls
- Quinoa Broccoli Meatballs
- Green Iron Boosting Smoothie
- Pink Iron Boosting Smoothie
- Carrot Apple Oatmeal
- Sweet Potato Baked Fries
- Salmon Bok Choy Plums Puree
- Lentil Veggie Tots
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups winter squash pulp in cubes
- 1 cup red potato in cubes
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
Peel, deseed and chop the winter squash in small cubes
Chop the red potato in small cubes. Do not peel.
Place the potato and squash in a steamer with the ground turkey on top.
Steam for 12 min.
Transfer the turkey and veggies in a tall container. Add the fresh parsley and the hemp seeds.
Using an immersion blender transform into a smooth puree.
Use the residual water from the steamer to thin the puree if needed.