Smoked salmon and lasagne: an unconventional and delicious combination. Delicate and incredibly tasty. So simple to make that I asked Luca to do it (the tiny hands in the video are his!!!) while I was filming.
Only five ingredients: homemade béchamel (check the video recipe here), smoked salmon (a good quality one, not processed, no added colors), sliced mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese and, of course, lasagna pasta 😉
It’s a superb complete meal for your kids: salmon is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, essential for a good brain development.
You can prepare the lasagna one day ahead, store it in the refrigerator and bake it the following day. Or you can even assemble it, freeze it and bake it when needed (within 3 months).
- 5 oz. lasagna pasta 125 gr. The kind that goes directly in the oven, without pre-boiling
- 1.3 lb. Bechamel sauce 600 ml.
- 1 small mozzarella 100 gr.
- 3.5 oz. smoked salmon 100 gr.
- 5 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 Cups milk 500 ml
- 3 Tbsp butter 50 gr.
- 3 Tbsp flour 50 gr.
- pinch of salt
- pinch nutmeg
- melt the butter in a medium sauce pan at low heat
- add the flour and quickly whisk in order to create a thick cream
- slowly add the milk (not cold! at room temperature) and whisk in order to avoid grains
- keep whisking for 6/8 minutes up until the flour will react with the heated milk and the sauce will start thickening. For the lasagna you do not want a thick Béchamel sauce, but a liquid one. It should have the same consistency of heavy cream.
- Turn the heat off. Add a pinch of salt and the nutmeg. Stir and set it apart
- In a baking dish add one or two ladles of Bechamel sauce at the bottom. Cover with one layer of lasagne.
- Add few pieces of smoked salmon and few slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with one layer of béchamel sauce
- Add one layer of lasagne
- Add another layer of smoked salmon and mozzarella. Cover with béchamel sauce.
- Cover with one layer of lasagne
- Last top layer: béchamel sauce and grated Parmesan cheese
- Bake in preheated oven at 400F/180C for 30 minutes!