PUMPKIN PUREE FOR BABIES
It’s in season and it’s such a nutritious food for babies: pumpkin puree. Wonderfully loaded with beta-carotenes, vitamin C, iron, and other nutrients, pumpkin puree can be served to your little ones starting from 6 months in a very simple and light way. For the basic pumpkin puree the ingredients are:
– 1 medium “sugar pie” pumpkin, more or less 1lb (850gr.)
– 1 cup of hot water (I used the one from the steamer) or breast milk or formula milk.
How to proceed:
– cut the pumpkin in half and peel it with a sharp knife. Be careful 😉
– remove the seeds
– slice the pumpkin in 8 slices and remove the inner peel in the center (once cooked it will still taste threadlike…)
– cut the pumpkin in small pieces
– steam the pumpkin for 15 minutes
– place the pumpkin in a bowl and add the liquid (either hot water or breast milk or formula milk) and puree it with an immersion blender. You can always use a food processor, it works the same!!
– add as much liquid as you need in order to create a smooth and creamy texture. I ended up using 1 cup of hot water from the steamer.
– your little one can enjoy it right away or you can store the puree’ in small portions in an air tight container or in a fun reusable pouch like the one in the video in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Babies usually love pumpkin puree as it is smooth and sweet; you can really play adding other ingredients all appropriate for babies from 6/7 months. Here you are some ideas:
1 Sweet Potato + Pumpkin + Bananas + Blueberry
2 Pumpkin + Sweet Potato + Pear
3 Spinach + Pumpkin + Chickpeas
4 Pumpkin + Apple + Yogurt
PUMPKIN PUREE FOR ADULTS
If you want to prepare the pumpkin puree and use it as a basic ingredient for all the wonderful fall recipes, just follow the instructions above and add hot water at the end (…you will not need breast milk or formula milk…).