Saffron is such a wonderful baby food ingredient both from a culinary and from a medical point of view.
Few saffron petals can really enhance the flavor of your baby food giving to it such a beautiful vibrant orange color. Saffron can be safely added to your baby food starting from 6 months. In India moms even mix breastmilk with saffron from birth!!
The reason why is also medical. Saffron is not only an ingredient for cooking, but it is used in the preparation of traditional medicines. Its medical properties are simply surprising.
Saffron is well known for its antioxidant properties that help protect the body and boost the immune system.
Saffron helps your baby’s digestion, your baby’s sight and bones (it boosts the absorption of calcium). Saffron is also used in the treatment of asthma in babies.
Today I would love to share with you a very simple and yummy recipe using saffron, perfect for babies +6M or for toddlers, you simply decide which texture is better for your little one!
This video is part of a collaboration with my friend Vincenzo from Vincenzos Plate YouTube Channel. We teamed up to give you an example of how, using the same healthy organic ingredients, you can prepare an amazing meal for the family and a super healthy baby/toddler food for the little ones. Our philosophy is one family = one recipe!!
Also, if you are interested in the baby and eco friendly products featured in the video, here you are where to find them:
- 100% bamboo dinnerware set by Bobo&Boo. https://amzn.to/2poWcMy
- 100% silicone baby food tray with lid by Lili-Pop Kids https://amzn.to/2pBwIfr
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cup water or vegetable/chicken broth without salt
- 5 oz. chicken tenders
- a pinch of saffron blossoms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot
- Preheat the oven to 400F/180°C.
- Cut the chicken in small pieces (toddler bites)
- Place the chicken in a small baking pan and brush with some olive oil. If you are cooking for toddlers over 1 year you can adjust with a tiny pinch of salt too.
- Bake in the oven for 20/25 min
- In a sauce pan add the vegetable broth or water and bring to boil
- add the rice and the saffron, stir
- reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 20min
- turn the heat off, stir the creamy rice and (optional but more tasty) add one tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese
- FOR TODDLERS: serve the rice with the chicken bites on top
- FOR BABIES: add the chicken/carrot mix to the rice all together with 1/2 cup hot water to thin or any other thinning liquid you like and puree everything to obtain a smooth consistency.
- If you would like to know more about thinning your baby food, check this post too
- The baby puree can be frozen in air tight containers up until 3 months.