Buckwheat is fun for more than one reason. The names tricks you as you can think it is a cereal or a grain, but it is none of that. It’s a fruit seed (like quinoa) and more nutritious of a regular seed. Being gluten free it is far less likely to provoke allergies and this makes it a perfect superfood for babies starting from 6/7 months.
From a nutritional point of view buckwheat is high in fiber and contains Iron, Niacin, Folate and even Vitamin K (not bad!!) Because of its protein content it is lower on the glycaemic scale compared to rice, corn or wheat. Buckwheat is high in important proteins and amino acids. From a cooking point of view buckwheat flour cooks very quickly and it can be used as any other baby cereal to prepare baby food in few minutes 🙂 It also has a very interesting nutty earthy taste that goes well with a lot of recipes.
Being a great choice for homemade baby food I would like to share this simple recipe with you: buckwheat flour with zucchini, pears and ricotta cheese. A tasty and balanced meal for your little ones.
This is all you will need:
And that’s how to proceed:
– Cut the zucchini and the pear in small pieces
– Steam the zucchini and the pear for 6 minutes
– In a medium sauce pan add 1/2 cup of the residual water from the steamer (it contains good nutrients that have been released from the zucchini and the pear!!!) and 1 Tbsp of buckwheat flour. If you want to prepare your homemade buckwheat flour (super easy and cheaper than buying it!) click this link.
– turn the heat on at low and stir the mix. In 3/5 minutes you will obtain a nice cream. Turn the heat off.
– Add the steamed zucchini and pear and the ricotta. Using an immersion blender create a nice and smooth puree. Add 1 tsp of Extra Virgin Oil of Olive and mix. Your baby puree’ is ready to be enjoyed!!