Inspiration for my recipes comes in very different ways. The other week I was buying my grocery at Trader Joe’s and I stopped in front of the frozen area and I saw the frozen “kale and spinach bites”. As I always do when a new food appeals to me at the grocery store, I read the ingredients list and the nutritional value chart 🙂 I have to admit that the ingredients used were all good and on the healthy side and the amount of sodium was not crazy high. Still, I like to prepare everything from scratch for my family so that I can control 100% the ingredients and the level of salt/sugar used.
That’s how I ended up recreating a homemade version of their “kale and spinach bites”. The result was impressive. The kids loved them, and that’s why I decided to share with you the recipe 🙂
I love them because they’re baked not fried, loaded with antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and K, plus I’m giving my family a healthy appetizer.
This is a perfect recipe to freeze. Simply prepare the balls and freeze them before baking. When needed, just place them on a baking sheet, drizzle some Extra Virgin Oil of Olive on top and bake. Ready in 15 minutes!!!
- 10 oz. kale 300gr.
- 10 oz. spinach 300gr.
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Oil of Olive
- 2 small shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 Cup breadcrumbs 100gr
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs for coating
- 3/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese 100gr
- 1 egg
- In a medium size pan add the Olive Oil and turn the heat on at medium.
- Let the oil warm up for 1 minute and add the minced shallots and the minced garlic. Stir and cook for 2/3 minutes up until they will reach a nice golden color.
- Add the spinach and the kale. Stir and let it sauté for 4 minutes.
- In a food processor add the spinach and kale mix altogether with one egg, 3/4 cup breadcrumbs and the grated parmesan cheese. Mix for 2 minutes to obtain a smooth consistency.
- With the help of two spoons (I used plastic ones, the mix sticks less) create small round balls.
- Coat them in the breadcrumbs and place them one next to the other on a parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle some Extra Virgin Oil of Olive on top and bake in the preheated oven at 400F/200C for 15 minutes. Enjoy!